Relocating Pets to Italy
Culture, history, food, wine, lakes, beaches, mountains, ancient ruins – one can go on and on about Italy! The darling of many avid travelers, Italy makes you fall in love right from the word go. With the upward trend of families relocating to Italy, there has also been an exponential increase in households with 4-legged furry members. The Italian authorities are much friendlier to cats and dogs than those in the US, Australia and the UK, so moving to Italy with your cat or dog should generally prove to be a good experience.
Italy is one of the most animal-friendly countries in the world. Pets are allowed in public places, restaurants, shops and public transport. Travelling across Italy with your pet also could not be easier with small dogs in a carrier being permitted to travel for free, in all classes of trains. Larger dogs need to be on a leash and muzzled and are restricted to certain carriages on the platform or in the last wagon on regional trains. A dog is also the perfect companion to explore the many historic cities and towns in Italy. Most of Italy’s impressive archaeological remains are also not off-limits to dogs.
In Italy, having your pet microchipped with an ISO-compliant microchip is mandatory
- Your pet will need a rabies vaccination after microchipping
- Following a 30 day waiting period your pet must have a rabies titer test conducted by a licensed veterinarian. Your pet may enter Italy after 3 calendar months from the date the blood was drawn for the titer test.
- A licensed veterinarian must complete the non-commercial EU health certificate for Italy within 5 days of travel, endorsed by the government agency responsible for the import and export of animals.
- The youngest age a puppy or kitten can enter Italy is 7 months
- Italy restricts the import of the Rottweiler and Doberman Pinscher breeds (Venice only).
Travelling with a pet can be complicated and confusing, and it is recommended to take the assistance of an accredited pet travel agency to help with the relocation. If you are planning on travelling to Italy with your pet, get a free quote here on our website by entering your travel and pet details. You can get in touch with us for a professional consultation by calling +91-9257123123 or write to us at [email protected]