Relocating Pets to India
India, officially the Republic of India, is a country in South Asia. It is the seventh-largest country by area, and the most populous democracy in the world. India is the land of culture, heritage and diversity. It is full of beauty brimming from Kanchenjunga to Kanyakumari. It truly is one of the most colourful countries in the world.
With India being a tourist hotspot, it is also a rising star when it comes to being a pet-friendly nation. Apart from restaurants, cafés and hotels allowing pets in India, there are now special tour packages that are made for pets to travel with their parents. While travelling with pets, it is important to keep the following things in mind-
- The first step is to microchip your pet with a 15-digit ISO-compliant pet microchip.
- While a rabies titer test is not mandatory, it is important for your pet to be vaccinated against rabies 30 prior to entry. Other vaccinations include distemper, hepatitis, parovo, leptospirosis for dogs and feline viral rhinotracheitis, calcivirus, panleukopenia for cats.
- For dogs and cats who enter India for temporary visit must obtain an import license issued by the Directorate General Of Foreign Trade.
- All pets entering India with their owners must have a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the Animal Quarantine and Certification Centre in India and must enter within 30 days of their owner’s arrival to the country if arriving as Manifested Cargo.
- A Govt. veterinarian must complete the health certificate for your pet prior to travel.
- If you are a citizen of India wishing to travel with your pet to the country, you must have been abroad for more than two years in order to import your pet (Maximum 2 pets per person)
- If you are a foreign national of Indian origin, you must have an OCI or PIO Card to import your pet to India.
- If you are a foreign national not of Indian origin, you must be relocating to India to work, Study or Business for a minimum of one year in order to import your pet. (Maximum 2 pets per person)
- Unaccompanied dogs and cats cannot be imported to India unless associated with their owner who is transferring residency to India. Dogs are not permitted to enter India for breeding or commercial purposes.
- India does not have a list of banned breeds.
As you start planning your trip overseas, you should consider hiring professional assistance to make your pet’s relocation safe, smooth and hassle-free. AirPets relocates hundreds of pets every year to and from India and is very thorough with its process. You can get in touch with us at +91-9257-123-123 or write to [email protected] for a professional consultation.