Taking Pets to Malaysia
Malaysia is a favourite tourist destination and a pet friendly country. Dogs and cats are welcomed in Malaysia, and the vibrant community has many exciting activities for you and your pet. Only a few short years ago it was unusual to see people in public places with their pets. Now there is a renovated shopping mall dedicated solely for pets and pet owners.
When travelling with pets, one thing is certain. There are several steps to the process and your pet needs to fulfil all the pet import regulations to be allowed to travel into Malaysia. It is critical that you follow these rules exactly.
- All pets travelling to Malaysia must be implanted with an ISO compliant microchip.
- Pets travelling to Malaysia must be vaccinated against rabies and DHPPIL vaccines between 30 days and 12 months before the date of travel. They must also have all other vaccinations up to date and mentioned in the health certificate and vaccination booklet issued by your vet.
- Pet dogs and cats must be treated for external and internal parasites between two and seven days of export.
- An Import permit must be obtained before arrival.
- Malaysia does not require a rabies titer test for pets entering from any country.
- Dogs and cats will be quarantined for 7-10 days and inspected by a quarantine official upon arrival.
- Malaysia is one of the countries that has banned the entry of some aggressive and dangerous dog breeds. Before transporting your pet dog into Malaysia, make sure your dog is not the list of banned breeds. These dog breeds are on the no-import list and cannot travel to Malaysia.
- Dogs must be licensed, through the local council. Certain district councils in Malaysia, have made it a mandatory rule for dog owners applying for a dog license to seek their neighbours' consent first as of 2017.
Bringing a pet to Malaysia can be complicated and confusing, and it is recommended to take the assistance of an accredited pet travel agency to help with the relocation. If you are planning on travelling to Malaysia with your pet dog or cat, get a free quote here on our website by entering your travel and pet details. You can also get in touch with us for a professional consultation by calling +91-9257-123-123 or write to us at [email protected]