Pet Relocation to Thailand
Known as the ‘Land of Smiles’, Thailand has long established itself as one of the top destinations in Asia for expats looking to relocate and enjoy the tropical paradise. More and more families are now moving to Thailand to enjoy the low-cost yet high-tech modern lifestyle. With an increasing number of foreigners wanting to bring along their paws-instead-of-feet family, pet culture in Thailand is booming.
By most accounts, Thailand is an odd combination of being very dog-friendly and then not dog-friendly. Most Thai people love dogs, but as pets were considered utilitarian rather than as part of the family. As ownership and awareness of animal welfare increases a lot of attitudes are changing, and although it’s far from ideal, Thailand is becoming a better place for our nonhuman friends. There are a number of hotels, spas, cafes and restaurants that are dog-friendly catering to pet owners. Even the temple grounds are dog-friendly! While your dogs cannot go into the temple themselves, they’re more than welcome to hang out outside of the temple.
- Your pet must be microchipped with an ISO-compliant microchip prior to travel.
- Your pet must be vaccinated against rabies between 21 days-12 months before travel
- A health certificate by a licensed vet and endorsed by the governmental agency responsible for the import/export of animals is required along with a copy of your passport.
- Before travelling, your pet should be treated against internal and external parasites.
- An Import Permit from the Department of Livestock Development in Thailand must be obtained in advance of travel.
- Pets can arrive in Thailand at Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok.
- Pet dogs and cats will not be quarantined as long as they arrive with a current import permit and all regulations are met. However, they may be subject to up to 30 days of quarantine for tests at the quarantine center upon arrival.
- Puppies and kittens must be at least 4 months old and vaccinated prior to entering.
As you start planning your trip overseas, you may consider hiring professional assistance to help with your pet’s relocation. If you are planning on relocating to Thailand with your pet, get a free quote here on our website by entering your travel and pet details.
You can get in touch with us for a professional consultation by calling +91-9257123123 or write to us at [email protected]