Pet Relocation to Japan
Japan is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Asia. It boasts of an endless list of attractions, things to do and places to explore. Full of contradictions, you will find ancient history paired with newest technology and development. With globalization, Japan is now also a popular destination with expats to relocate to and bring their pets along! Unfortunately, some Asian countries have a bad reputation due to known human consumption of dog meat, but Japan is not included in the list of countries that consume dogs.
Despite its lack of space, Japan is very dog friendly. Many cafes and restaurants allow dogs inside. There are many dog parks scattered across the cities which allow dogs to roam inside off-leash. If you would like to travel across the country, you can also find many pet friendly resorts that also have pet-specific facilities. Finding a dog-friendly apartment can be problematic, especially if you have a larger dog, due to the size of most housing in Japan.
- Your pet must be microchipped with an ISO-compliant microchip prior to travel.
- An Advanced Notification Form is to be filled at least 40 days before travel with the Animal Quarantine Service.
- If you are travelling from a country Japan considers high-risk for rabies, your pet must be vaccinated against rabies after microchipping and a booster shot is to be administered 30 day post the primary vaccination.
- If entering from a high-risk country, a rabies titer test is to be administered 30 days after the rabies vaccination.
- A health certificate by a licensed vet must be issued within 2 days of entry.
- Before your dog or cat can enter Japan, it must be treated against internal and external parasites.
- Cats and dogs can enter Japan at the following airports: New Chitose Airport, Narita International Airport, Tokyo International Airport, Chubu International Airport, Kansai International Airport, Kitakyushu Airport, Fukuoka Airport, Kagoshima Airport and Naha Airport.
- Your pet will be held at the Animal Quarantine Service for a short period of time for inspection before being released to you. Dogs and cats that do not fulfill requirements will be quarantined for up to 180 days.
- Puppies and kittens must be at 3 months old and vaccinated prior to entering Japan.
As you start planning your trip overseas, you may consider hiring professional assistance to help with your pet’s relocation. If you are planning on relocating to Japan with your pet, get a free quote here on our website by entering your travel and pet details.
You can get in touch with us for a professional consultation by calling +91-9257123123 or write to us at [email protected]